Level III exams
Next Diploma Examination
During the ECR in Vienna, Austria.
Tuesday, Febraury 26, 2019
09:00 - 12:00 (exact duration TBC, dependant on number of participants)
The European Society of Urogenital Radiology (ESUR) introduced the Level III “European Diploma in Urogenital Radiology (EDiUR). EDiUR is an internationally recognized certificate of level III radiological competence in the urogenital subspeciality, certified by ESUR, and endorsed by the ESR.
ESUR and ESR together are dedicated to continuously improving and adapting EDiUR in line with the European Training Curriculum for Radiology, level III, a living document subject to regular updates and revisions.
EDiUR certifies that the holder has reached a level III of knowledge and competency in Urogenital Radiology, in line with the level III European Training Curriculum (Available online).
EDiUR provides a common European qualification for radiologists specialized in Urogenital radiology and will help to standardize training and expertise across Europe. It certifies that the holder has reached level III competences to perform, interpret and report imaging examinations of the urogenital system, and will assist its holders in the promotion of their skills and experience when dealing with other clinical colleagues and with the general public.
Candidates must be ESR and ESUR members in the year of the examination. They have to be fully trained, licensed and practicing radiologists with at least two years of subspecialty training with rotations in gynecological/obstetrical radiology and/or in urological/nephrological radiology. An active participation in a research program is welcome.
Successful candidates will be awarded the “European Diploma in Urogenital Radiology”.
1. To be a certified radiologist after a 5-year training program or, for nations in which the residency in radiology is four years, after a post-diploma additional year of clinical practice.
2. To have at least two years of clinical practice in UG radiology after residency, certified by the department/GU radiology head.
3. RIS documentation or logbook of recorded activities in UG radiology, certified by the department/GU radiology head of the institution where the candidate works or participates in a fellowship programme. Minimum experience required in the last two years: 200 ultrasound examinations of lesions involving the UG tract, 150 CT examinations of lesions involving the UG tract, 100 MR examinations of lesions involving the UG tract (50 prostate imaging), 50 interventional procedures.
4. Be ESR and ESUR members in the year of the examination.
5. Having attended, or are planning to attend, a minimum of 3 annual Meetings/Symposia/Workshop or Courses of the ESUR in 5 years and/or refresher courses in UG radiology during the ECR, RSNA or Society of Abdominal Radiology meetings. If the candidate does not meet this criterion at the time of the examination, he/she will be given the opportunity to sit and, if passed the examination, to complete his training within the next 3 years. He/she will receive the diploma when qualification will be attained.
The exam will be held in English. The examination takes place once a year at the ECR. The examination consists of written and oral components, both contributing 50% of the total score for the exam. Both parts of the examination (oral and written) have to be passed. The examination tests knowledge, skills and competence in UG radiology in three components:
1. 20 multiple choice questions (MCQs) (40 minutes): written part (25 points)
2. 10 short cases (each with 2–5 questions) (45 minutes): written part (25 points)
3. Clinically Oriented Reasoning Evaluation (CORE): oral part; discussion between the candidate and the evaluation committee (40 minutes for each candidate). Five cases, of which one dealing with prostate imaging (50 points, 10 for each case; the prostate case has to be passed).
The CORE part will be scored according with criteria similar to those already established for the CORE part of EDiR. A marking score from 0-10 points will be used for each case. Three to 5 questions (the same for all candidates) will be asked for each case. Each question will be weighted depending on its relevance and difficulty.
The handling fee of the diploma will be decided every year by ESUR. In case a candidate does not pass the EDiUR he/she will have the possibility to retake the examination one year later.
Cost in 2019: €400 (Corresponding members €600)
Candidates will be examined on main aspects of UG radiology, namely diagnostic radiology of the kidneys and retroperitoneum, imaging of the male and female reproductive systems, prostate imaging, and interventional radiology applied to the GU tract. The level of knowledge requested to the candidates is outlined in the European Training Curriculum/Level III for the subspeciality (available online), whose content is provided by ESUR.
The EDiUR certification has 5 years validity. On request, renewal will be free of charge (only secretarial fee will apply) with completion of the following items during the 5 years of diploma validity, which prove continuous application of the holder in the field of urogenital radiology:
1. Be ESR and ESUR members in good standing in the year in which the renewal is requested, and in the past 5 years.
2. Attendance at a minimum of 2 annual symposia of the ESUR in 5 years, or workshops/courses of the ESUR.
3. Having obtained the status of ESUR fellow, or having 150 CME Points (as established by the national authorities of each candidate and granted by them or by European authorities) over 5 years from attendance at CME recognized meetings on UG topics
4. Having served ESUR in its institutional activities (certified by ESUR President/Secretary), or having gained at least 200 Points achieved in the following activities in the field of GU radiology (50 points for a full paper published in peer-reviewed indexed journals; 40 points for a book chapter; 30 points for an invited lecture; 10 points for any published abstract or EPOS poster).
No written/oral exam will be done for renewal. The certification will not be renewed if the above items have not been completed during the 5 years of diploma validity.
For more information or in case of questions, please contact esursecretary(at)esur.org